Sunday, May 18, 2008

Home at last

I am home from my first year at college and must confess to having been in a bit of a style rut for the past few weeks, especially the last weeks of the semester.

I have always been one of those people who refused to leave my home in my pajamas, or anything approximating pajamas (this includes sweatpants, baggy t-shirts, or any kind of clothing you would wear to work out at the gym). No matter the weather, I would always attempt to dress myself in a stylish (but not requiring TOO much effort, has to look careless of course) manner

This semester however, the weather would just not cooperate. I figured that since DC is sort of the South, the weather would get nice in late February/March.

THAT DID NOT HAPPEN.

I kept my winter clothes around for far too long. And then, when I finally packed them away in late March/early April, guess what?! We got a cold, rainy few days and I was forced to unearth my tired old sweaters and tights and jeans and wellingtons when, emotionally, I was more than ready for sandals and (classy) shorts and flimsy florals and COTTON.

Most shamefully, my friend and I started our own radio show. As freshmen, we got the worst time slot--8 AM on Sunday mornings. Foolishly, I thought, "Oh, I can handle this. I had an 8 AM class three times a week last semester, a 15 minute walk to the exact opposite end of campus. I never EVER wore pajamas to that class, always managing to dress myself with dignity."

Waking up that early on Sundays is really, really hard. And it never got easier...it got harder each week. Thankfully no one was really out that early...but I am ashamed to admit that every Sunday for the last semester, I wore my pajamas out to walk to radio. Thankfully, I managed to follow another one of my personal rules: ALWAYS wear a bra, even if you think you don't need one. (The exception, of course, is if a certain dress or top is cut too weirdly to wear one, and you're small enough to pass). Despite temptations to just throw on my coat over my ratty Model UN t-shirt and call it a day...I forced myself to, at the very least, have some semblance of decency and put on a brassiere.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I am home now and ready for some NICE weather so I can get out of this style rut and wear some fun summer clothing. Alas, it's raining today...but as a curly haired orphan once said, the sun will come out tomorrow.

IT BETTER, anyway. Because I put my rain boots in storage.

No comments: