Saturday, December 1, 2007

oxford shoes and shirts


I really think that menswear...for ladies! is always "in." There's just something wonderfully chic about a ladylike outfit with a touch of masculinity, whether it's a chunky watch or excellent tailoring.

Lately, I've been on the hunt for a pair of sleek black oxford shoes. It's been difficult finding ones geared toward ladies though--they're either stilleto heels or weird orthopedic shoes. These Paul Smith ones would be perfect, if they turned black and became magically afordable for a broke college student.
Basically, I want oxford shoes because I think they would add a whimsical menswear touch to my current late autumn/early winter outfit: a sweater dress, in black, white, or grey + black, grey, or raspberry tights + a black or grey cardigan. The dress/tights/fitted cardigan is incredibly ladylike, almost to the point of preciousness, so oxfords would toughen it up a bit.

I also have grown quite fond of button-down oxford shirts. They make you look immediately "pulled together" and sleek. I know some younger girls think of them as stodgy office wear, but I think an oxford in a bright color plus dark jeans plus a skinny colorful belt is youthful and fun.

J. Crew had some nice ones, I'm planning on heading there this week to see if they're on sale!

No comments: