Monday, December 3, 2007

introduction: husna

So, I should do one of these too. Like the other lady bloggers, I am an 18 year old college student. I have an extreme fondness for Vogue. Even though it is rather elitist and features a lot of ridiculous high society types, I enjoy looking at the pretty, pretty designer things. This month's holiday issue with Penelope Cruz on the cover (I usually dislike the actress on fashion magazine cover thing, but I enjoy Penelope quite a bit) has a gorgeous spread with her in Madrid. Lots of beautiful gowns.

Other magazines I look at are the more affordable Elle, Glamour, and Lucky. They're pretty hit or miss, but I always cut out/rip out inspiring pictures. If I can figure out my scanner, I'll scan a recent Glamour shoot (the issue with America Ferrara on the cover) that was very whimsically girlish.

Maryse turned me on to the blog, The Sartorialist, which is great. I love his photos and the outfits he photographs always have some eyecatching (sometimes very subtle, which I appreciate) aspect.

My style inspirations include:

Frida Kahlo.
I love shawls and scarves for winter, and I love big jewelry and lively colors for spring and summer. I'm on the hunt for a Mexican-style embroidered white tunic/sun dress.

The Rolling Stones/really anybody who apes that "60s" look/the groupie look from Almost Famous

I do enjoy skinny jeans and I find it frustrating and amusing that it is often skinny men like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in their heyday who really pull off the drainpipe jeans a helluva let better than many of the girls who frequent my campus. (The truth: they are not for everyone.) I think skinny jeans, high heeled boots, and a printed shirt with a scarf and interesting jewelry is an easy look to pull together, and comfortable enough to wear casually. I guess the somewhat boho/hippie look of the 60s is the first fashion idea that obsessed me so I will always take a second look at tunics and interesting prints. Plus, my family's from Pakistan so bright prints in various fabrics are somewhat part of my cultural background too.


Patti Smith
Love her music, love her style. Very casual, yet put-together. I read an interview with Sienna and Savannah Miller citing Patti as an inspiration for their new line, twenty8twelve. Good choice, ladies.


Audrey Hepburn

Sadly, it's such a cliche to cite her as an "inspiration", but she is eternal proof that black pants, a simple sweater, and ballet flats can be chic. So effortlessly classic.

No comments: