Saturday, December 1, 2007

scarves/shawls/neck covering loveliness

I know that pashmina shawls and so-called "ethnic" scarves have been fashionable for quite a while now, but I guess I didn't realize to what extent until I got to college. It seems like everywhere I go, girls are either dolled up in head-to-toe J. Crew and bundled up in a bright mono-coloured pashmina, or dolled up in head-to-toe Urban Outfitters and bundled up in a printed scarf of varying ethnicity.

I read an old interview with Tim Gunn where his big piece of advice towards making any outfit classy and chic was adding a scarf or shawl. My mom definitely lives by this rule--since I was little, I remember watching her critically appraise herself in the mirror and matching a scarf or shawl to her outfit before leaving to the bank/PTO meeting/office/grocery store/whatever random places she went to where she had to look good.I've gotten into the habit of stealing scarves and shawls from her, which she certainly does not appreciate. She always lectures me about trying to dress older than I am, and so, tries to steer me in the direction of pashminas with a single shade.

I have a bright blue and orange one, and they are certainly comfortable and warm, but I think it's so much more fun to pair a multi-coloured print with an outfit than just one color. And while I would never buy all of my clothes from either Urban Outfitters or J. Crew (or any one store, really), right now I am feeling a bit more overpriced boho hipster than overpriced prep.

Most of the scarves I wear are from Pakistan (hooray for being second-generation). We're going to visit my family during winter break so hopefully I can write more about the treasure trove that is Pakistani shopping. The Anarkali Bazaar is *my* yearly religious pilgrimage, yo.

This is one of my favorite scarves from Pakistan (and more locally, Mommy's closter). It's pretty big, so I usually wear it as a wrap, tossed ever so elegantly about my shoulders, but Lantern Night was held on a particularly chilly October evening so I decided to wear it the way I usually see people wear single colored scarves. It's not my favorite style, but in my experience it is the warmest. Excuse the unflattering "bat robe" as we call them. They were forced upon us, unfortunately.

This second one is a more recent purchase, a Portugese scarf from this lovely consignment store Piccadilly Court in the town of Bryn Mawr. Excuse the strange photo, my sister directed me to "Pretend to be a ghost!" I really love the contrast between the bright white color and the incredibly colorful print. It's a very nice wool material that truly keeps me quite warm.

Since it is a square scarf, I usually fold it into a triangle and wear it so that the pointy part hangs down my back and the two long ends are just casually tossed over my shoulders. It looked okay with the white cable-knit I have on in this picture, but I think I prefer it when paired with one of the bright colors in the print, such as with a bright yellow button down I have from Forever 21.

It's probably my second favorite thing I've bought at college (the boots win!). I'm not so good with the square scarves though. I find it awkward to wear under coats and stuff since you can't just wrap it around your neck a couple times as with rectangular styles. Perhaps it is a bit early for me to think of this, but I have a square silk Ferragamo scarf that I am dying to wear, but I can never figure out how to wear the square scarves right. I don't want to look like a flight attendant or anything!

1 comment:

maryse said...

ooh the portuguese one reminds me of those russian folk scarves (they are black with red roses). also i have issues wearing square scarves too. i have a silk one that is proenza schouler for target that i still can't figure out how to wear. also no one at my school wears pashminas so i feel a little overdressed wearing them. but i love them!